SEO is complicated, right? Somewhere between header tags and meta descriptions and good versus bad backlinks, it's easy to get lost. You may be tempted to throw your hands up and accept what ever rank Google wants to give you.
But wait just a minute, because I've got an infographic that will help you understand SEO in an easy-to-digest format (pun intended).
First, let me be honest.
My eyes lit up when I found this bad boy on the Vertical Response blog. As a foodie with a passion for carbs, this cheeseburger inspired infographic was bound to grab my attention. The bias is real, folks.
But after looking at the key points illustrated here, I'm happy to share that the SEO information is every bit as genius as the imagery.
If you're new to the SEO or site optimization world, here's a snapshot of the essential ingredients to a tasty (and successful) SEO sandwich:
Each of these concepts is critical to SEO success, and each deserves equal attention in your quest to ranking greatness. However, I'd argue this infographic is missing one key theme: quality over quantity.
In a world where "content is king", it's easy to fall down the slippery slope of creating content and participating on social media as frequently as possible as the quality of your contributions becomes a secondary consideration.
However, Google's robots are getting smarter by the minute and are rapidly evolving to track not only how many social networks, content pieces and backlinks you have - but also how valuable they are. In other words, don't just create content for content's sake or get links because you heard it's important. Master each aspect of SEO and build quality first, then begin to scale.
In a way, this ties into the cheeseburger concept. Wouldn't you rather have one amazing, delicious, flavorful burger than 3 measly McDonalds patties? Of course you would.
Now, on to the fun part. This infographic does a great job illustrating basic concepts, but admittedly doesn't provide much guidance for taking action.
Thus, I think you'll be well suited to check out a few more resources related to each SEO ingredient. These beginner level articles will help you to not only understand SEO, but turn that understanding into action which positively impacts your site:
- Duplicate Content: SEO Best Practices from Moz
- Why an Optimized Content Strategy is Crucial for Social & Search from Search Engine Watch
- Social Signals
- Do Social Signals Work for SEO? from Social Media Today
- The Three Pillars Of SEO In 2013: Content, Links, And Social Media from Forbes
- How Social Media Impacts Your SEO Ranking [Infographic] from SproutSocial
- Why Links Remain Critical to SEO Success from Search Engine Watch
- Optimized Links in Press Releases & Guest Posts Can Harm Your SEO, Says Google from HubSpot
- Meta tags
- Positive Reviews
- A Cheat Sheet for Building High Ranking Authority…Without Cheating from QuickSprout
- Build Trust and Authority in Google Search from Inc
Wow... that's a lot of reading! Let me know if you find any other awesome SEO resources along the way. And if you're struggling with low rankings, check out this article from Luke on improving your existing SEO.
Here's to your success!